We’re getting ready to head to Grand Cayman for my husband’s work. We’ve been there 4 times, but always with our kids. This time we’re going by ourselves. We know the area well and know some of the fun things to do there. We are excited to be going back to a place we’re so familiar. We’re hoping for a little rest and relaxation and also to see things we may have missed on other trips. I’m going to show you a couple things I’m packing so if you have a a trip coming up this summer you can get some ideas of what you should pack for a beach vacation.
Packing for A Beach Vacation
Clothes- Clothing is probably the first thing you start with and how you determine the vibe of the trip. You have to think is this going to be casual and a resort feel or a more formal and business like attire and then go from there. For us, we will have several dinners we have to attend so I know I have to dress up for those. The rest of the trip I will mainly dress in resort, casual attire since it is a resort type atmosphere. Don’t over pack. Pack only what you need and maybe an outfit or 2 more for emergencies. Remember, you have to carry all of this, wash it, and put it away when you get home. Take only what is necessary. You will thank me the day you return.
If you’re not sure what the dress code is for dinners, look online or call the hotel ahead of time. They are glad to tell you the dress code. They want your business. It is better to be prepared then to get there and have the wrong clothing.
Toiletries– I try to pack the least amount as possible. I pack the bare minimum in make up, hair supplies, and skin care as possible. Remember the hotel will have things like hair dryers, shampoos, and lotions. This will save space if you can eliminate having to take those items. However, you MUST have sunscreen. Even take more than you think you will need. It is very expensive at the hotel. If you are going out of the country the sun’s rays are coming in directly instead of at an angle like we’re used to in the United States. You will get way more sun than you’re used to and at a quicker rate. We’ve run out before and I would never be unprepared again. We can only use one type of sunscreen with our sensitive skin and they didn’t have it so we broke out on top of also getting a sunburn. NOT a fun rest of the trip.
Miscellaneous– You will want to take things like jewelry, your computer, kindle, and, camera. Just remember that if you put these things in your carry on it will become super heavy. One time my carry on and purse together weighed 25 plus pounds. I stopped taking my big computer and just took my iPad so it wasn’t as heavy. That way I could use that as my computer, music source and kindle app. Total space saver. Think smart when you travel. You don’t want to put things like medicine, jewelry, or a camera in your luggage so you must put them in your carry on. Remember your chargers for all your devices you take and even extra chargers if you have them.
- Make a list of items you’re taking a couple days before you leave so you can leisurely prepare.
- Write your list starting from your morning routine all the way to what you do each night. That way you won’t miss any important items to take. ie medicines, inhaler, epipen, supplies).
- Put your shoes in a shower cap or travel bag so they don’t get the rest of your clothes dirty.
- Make sure you know travel rules before you leave. Be aware if a passport is needed and what you can carry on a plane.
- We like to check in at least an hour and a half early for domestic flights and 2 hours for international flights. To be safe, ask each airport what their guidelines are.
- Check the night before to make sure there haven’t been any delays or changes with your flight. Do this again in the morning.
- Print out all hotel confirmations so they are easy to produce if there is a problem at the hotel.
- Give each person in the group a little money in case the head person on your trip loses their wallet or unfortunately gets robbed. That way you will have a little emergency cash from the others in your group.
Are you going on any fun trips this summer with your family or friends? I would love to hear about your travel plans and some of your tips as well. Any Grand Cayman fans? Would love to know the things you enjoy doing there as well.