Spring is almost here and I have a ton of projects I want to tackle. How do you start a decorating project from scratch? There are several things I like to do when I’m starting a design project. Sticking to these steps keeps me from making costly mistakes. Learning from experience, I don’t want you to make the same mistakes.
Starting a decorating project can be quite overwhelming, especially if you’re doing it on your own. Here are some tips on how to start a decorating project.
- Are you doing it on your own or hiring a professional? This is important to think about right from the beginning. If it’s a smaller project and you think you can do it on your own than great. But if the project involves structural changes, you might want to hire a professional to oversee the changes you are making. I’m sure it will be money well spent.
- Decide on a budget. Coming up with a budget is very important. Deciding how much you will spend will decide all the other decisions, so this is a huge step. Think about it wisely and don’t rush this step. Get your spouse involved. How much can you comfortably afford without breaking the bank?
- Look at your current room and assess the situation. Ask yourself some important questions to get a feel for what you like and don’t like. What do you like? What do you dislike? Can you keep anything? Do you see any inspiration?
- Make a mood board, Pinterest board, or photo file of things you like. From the pictures you gathered see what similarities are repeated. This will help you start to see a pattern of things you like. It may also show you what you dislike in your current room. Give yourself plenty of time in this stage so you have time to find things you like. This step is very important in the the creative process so spend adequate time here finding what you like and dislike. It will make the process go a lot smoother.
- Create a wish list. Creating a wish list can help your designer narrow down the things that are Important to you. You may not get everything on your list, but you can start to see what items are needs and what are wants.
- Do you have a focal inspiration piece? Having a focal piece like art work, a pillow, or a rug will help you with your color selection. This is very important. This usually comes to you during your mood board and exploration stage. If you find a piece you’re in love with your designer can select your paint color around the colors in your inspiration piece.
I hope you found some helpful tips on how to start a design project. Whether you do it on your own or hire a professional, I’m sure your project will turn out great. Take your time in the planning stage and spend time finding out what you really like so your vision can easily translate in your design.