Taking Care of Yourself Series
Welcome back to the taking care of yourself series. If you missed the first post, I hope you get a chance to check it out. I’m kind of excited about today’s post. It doesn’t happen often, but when I’m in a bad mood it seems like the whole tone of the house changes. The old saying, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy,” seems to be true. Here are ten things that help me get out of a bad mood. Sometimes it just has to pass, but hopefully this list will give you some tips that will help.
Ten Tips To Get Out of a Bad Mood
- Keep busy– Sulking isn’t going to help your mood. Get up and find something to do. If not, you will sit around and stew about what is bothering you.
- Listen to music– Music to me is a game changer. It really pulls emotion out of me depending on what I’m listening to. Throw on some upbeat music and get something done.
- Be productive– That leads us to productivity. Getting stuff marked off my list always makes me feel happy. I’m a list person and I love getting things accomplished during the day. If you’re in a bad mood, get going on your “to do” list.
- Distract yourself- I’m sure you used this technique with your kids when they were little. Bring it back around for yourself. Make a phone call to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. I’m sure it will distract you and also brighten their day as well.
- Get a make over– Getting a new haircut or color helps me feel so much better about myself. That alone could get me out of a bad mood for sure. Even a nice blowout would have my hair looking nice and make me feel great for several days. How can you be in a bad mood when you look so good?
- Find something to look forward to– Don’t you like to have something to count down or think about in the near future? Maybe it’s an upcoming long weekend, a shopping trip, or a goal you’re working on. Having something to look forward to really gets my mind thinking of positive things.
- Guilty pleasures– What are your guilty pleasures? Do something that you love. Take a bubble bath, go on Pinterest, watch a movie, read a book, or get a massage. There are so many fun things you can do to make yourself happy. Make a list of your “go to” guilty pleasures so you can easily access them the next time you’re in a bad mood.
- Get physical– You knew this one would be on the list. Take a walk, go for a swim, jump on the trampoline, It doesn’t need to be much, but find something to do that you enjoy. Getting those endorphins going will really make you feel better.
- Journal– Write it down. Get your feelings out in a short brain dump and you will be surprised how much better you will feel.
- Get some fresh air– Go on a walk or sit on your porch and get some Vitamin D. It is amazing how many people really have the winter blues. I really do believe people are happier when it is warmer. Try to get outside. If you have a desk job, take your lunch break and try to get outside if you can. If not, try to set yourself up by a window where you can get some sun coming in while you work.
I hope these 10 tips will help you when you’re in a bad mood.
Try them the next time you’re feeling a little off and see which ones help. Have a great week.
It’s a great day to have a great day!