Last year I did a FAQ for the holidays for the first time. If you missed it you should check that out. Since I do trees for clients I have been getting a ton of questions. I figured if other people are asking me you may have some of the same questions. I thought I would just write a post addressing some of the questions I’ve recently been asked about Christmas trees and decor in general.
IN WEDNESDAY’S POST, I WILL BE REVEALING WHAT I HATE MOST ABOUT MY SEASONAL INSTALLATIONS AND IN MY OWN HOME. DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS? LEAVE YOUR ANSWER BELOW!
Q: WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ORNAMENTS AND CHRISTMAS DECOR?
A: It really depends on your style and where you live. However, there are some online stores that I really like that I can share with you.
For full looking pre-lit garland and wreaths, Frontgate is by far my favorite. For artificial, but natural looking garland I have used Pier1 and people always ask me if mine is real. This season I have also seen really pretty cedar garlands in Anthropologie, West elm, and CB2. These give you a look that you’re more likely to find in nature.
My favorite trees are Balsam Hill for green ones. They are easy to put up and I like the way they look. They are very full and realistic looking. I have 2 of them and they are amazing. However, if you want a flocked tree, this one is my 9′ heavily flocked tree from Overstock. It is so awesome. I bought it last year and I think it is amazing. It barely leaves a mess and it is so beautiful. I also love the look of the King Of Christmas trees. They are just always sold out when I go to buy them.
For decor, you can find things at Target like Sugar Paper wrapping paper and boxes. You can use Pottery Barn for stockings, blankets, and candles. Ornaments you can get from anywhere. You know I love me some Home Goods, but that was a given. I really like getting my picks and florals from At Home or Michaels because they are usually on sale. Nordstrom also has really cute Christmas stuff for your home that you wouldn’t think about. I have also even bought decor at stores like Bath and Body Works and Stein Mart. Stores that aren’t typically decor stores sometimes have good finds that you can pick up. I love using unique items that people are surprised to see.
Q: HOW DO YOU DECORATE IF YOU HAVE A SMALL APARTMENT OR SPACE?
A: My daughter lives in an apartment so we are dealing with that now. She has a slim tree which fits nicely. If you are into a more modern look you can check out the Modern Tree. They were on Shark Tank last year and it really took off. It is a space saver and an easy way to have an unique look that saves space.
The key is to keep it simple and watch what takes up space. You can add little touches here and there in your everyday items. Switch out your kitchen towels to your theme towels. Put a wreath on the door or on the back of your chairs so you can enjoy them. Things that hang on the wall are awesome because they don’t take up space. This is a great way to show your Christmas spirit. Just remember things that go on the floor and take up space aren’t necessarily your friend so be mindful of these space issues.
Sarah, from The Yellow Cape Cod, uses her dining room as an office for most of the year. However, come November she changes it back to a dining room until New Year’s. You can see how she does that in the above post. I think that is an amazing idea. She is utilizing the space to maximize what she needs it for.
Q: WHAT IF YOU WANT TO DECORATE IN A NEW THEME BUT YOU DON’T HAVE MUCH MONEY TO CHANGE OUT YOUR DECORATIONS?
A: For a long time I have been urging people to buy neutral ornaments for their collections. The neutrals are gold, silver, white and clear. Then you can use these 75% of the time on your tree. I always start with those when I decorate, then I add in a different ribbon and the other 25% which is my theme color scheme. I have been married 23 years and have actually been collecting ornaments even before I got married. You can imagine how much of the attic is only Christmas. Ribbon is relatively inexpensive especially if you buy after the holidays.
You can also change to a flocked tree instead of green. I have a post coming up Wednesday on how to make a green tree look flocked. The best way to spruce up is to move your decor around from year to year. Don’t always put your items in the same place. You can really repurpose something old by changing its placement and using it in a different way.
I hope these were helpful. I have so much content to share in the next few weeks. I’m posting 3 times a week for you during this season. Come back Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to get more Christmas inspiration and tips. Also, my Instagram is where you can find most of my inspirational photos right now. However, I just crossed over 1.4 million monthly viewers on Pinterest and I would love for you to come over and follow me there so you can see what I’m pinning on my boards.